Monday, September 7, 2009

Chicken and Apples in Honey Mustard Sauce


This is a recipe I got off of a fantastic website, here: www.simplyrecipes.com (the picture is from there, too). I hope I don't get in trouble for posting it! I made it a month ago, and the entire family loved it! I love meat and fruit cooked together, so this is a top recipe for me.

Chicken and Apples in Honey Mustard Sauce Recipe

Preparation time: 30 minutes.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 Tbsp mustard
  • 2 Tbsp seasoned dry breadcrumbs
  • 4 4oz chicken breasts
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 small unpeeled apples, cored and cut into eighths (use Golden delicious, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Pippin, or McIntosh apples, seecooking apples chart)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • Fresh parsley

METHOD

1 Whisk cider, cornstarch, mustard, honey, salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl. Set aside.

2 Spread bread crumbs on a piece of wax paper, lightly coat chicken with crumbs.

3 In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil and add the chicken breasts. Cook over medium heat until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken, add apples, and cook until browned on the other side.

4 Add chicken broth, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 15 minutes.

5 With slotted spoon, remove chicken and apples to serving plates. Whisk cider mixture again and add to skillet. Cook and stir over high heat until lightly thickened and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken and apples, sprinkle with parsley.

Serve with rice. Serves 4.


Below is a picture of how my meal turned out! Really yummy--I think I used Fugi apples.

No comments: