This is one of my favorite soups. I got the recipe from the Food Nanny, but altered it to be a bit lower fat. It's so yummy!
1 lb chicken breast
4 C chicken broth
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
5 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size chucks
1/4 C flour
2 C evaporated fat-free milk
3/4 C frozen peas
Salt and ground black pepper
1. Put chicken and broth in large pot and bring to boil. Decrease heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 20 min. Remove the chicken to cool.
2. Add the onion, carrots, and potatoes to the simmering broth. Cover and return to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min until veggies are tender.
3. Meanwhile, tear chicken into bite-size pieces.
4. In a small bowl, whisk flour and a part of evaporated milk together until smooth.
5. Add the flour and milk mixture, and the chicken pieces to the soup pot. Stir and bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Once soup thickens a bit decrease heat to simmer, add the peas, salt and pepper to taste, and cook just until peas are heated through. Serve immediately or keep warm but do not boil.
Serve with bread sticks, hot rolls, or crusty bread. Makes about 12 cups